Are you looking for interesting ideas how to finish your basement ceiling and transform its gloomy look into sightly, uninterrupted ceiling? Along with visible transformation and masking plumbing pipes, wires, structural bracing and ductwork, the urgent task is to improve acoustics and moisture ornoise resistance, upgrade insulation. As is typical, the costs to finish basement do not predict budgeting in much for ceilings. Some solve this problem recruiting good friends and finding time for DIYdrop ceiling project.But do they really save money? Well, your tries to create a budget and estimate real expenses can be a very difficult task, if you are not familiar with construction estimating or cannot predict how much it costs to finish your basement. I hope my review here will be helpful to find out what project is better to choose.
- In modern houses the price of drywall is nearly the same or cheaper than suspended ceilings. The cost of drywalling a basement ceiling depends on framing around the wires and pipes installed below the joists. Recently in the last 10-15 years almost all pipes and wiring are hidden above the bottom of the joist, so, there is no need in additional framing; the price for drywall basement ceiling has decreased significantly.
- Installation of drop ceiling takes off 4-5 inches of room height. It does not sound rosy to make a low basement ceiling even lower than existing one.
- An easy access to the pipes, wires and other systems is the most popular point of preference of drop ceiling fans. Are you often going to fix your pipes or change wires? What for do you need access to a leaky pipe? It is not hard to cut out and replace drywall as well.
- Drop ceilings are not a good option for additional moisture in the basement air.Do you dream of sagging ceilings as the tile absorbs that moisture and begins to get weighted down?
- Installation of drop ceiling is a fairly big and hard project. It is highly recommended to hire a crew of pros to avoid improper measurements, extra expenses on materials and ill-fitting joints. Professional drywalling the walls and the installation of ceilingwill not cost much more.
- And a secret confess from real estate agents – a drop ceiling in your basement negates some of the home equity.